Dishtowels into Aprons

The gallery is up at Tie One On for last month's apron challenge. Our mission was to create an apron using a dish or tea towel. A simple idea really. But I couldn't resist adding a few embellishments to mine.

The towel is vintage and was in a box of vintage linens that someone gave me. 1940s, I think. I love the colors and the design of the fruit. I had some red polkadot reproduction feedsack fabric that I used to make the waistband and pocket. You may recognize the yellow stripe from my last apron. I had just a little left - enough for the ties and a border along the top of the pocket. I added a big red button and, because that still wasn't enough, I used a bit more of the polkadots along the bottom.

That made a pretty long apron, which is fine for me because I'm 5'9! I'm happy with how this apron turned out and with how easy it was to do. I have several cute vintage towels with embroidery and this is another option for using them.

Be sure to check out the other submissions - there are some very talented ladies out there.


kath red said...

i loved this apron - gorgeous fabric and colour combo

Gina E. said...

I can't believe it - another month gone by and I still didn't get around to making an apron...even from a tea towel, of which I have dozens! Guess I will just stick to collecting them...Your efforts have all been simply gorgeous, Janet! One can tell at a glance that this is your choice of work for a living!!

kay susan said...

This is really excellent, your embellishments added just the right touch. Wow!