10.01.2005

Dishtowels into Aprons

The gallery is up at Tie One On for last month's apron challenge. Our mission was to create an apron using a dish or tea towel. A simple idea really. But I couldn't resist adding a few embellishments to mine.



The towel is vintage and is one I got in a box of vintage linens that someone gave me. 1940s, I think. I love the colors and the design of the fruit. I had some red polkadot reproduction feedsack fabric that I used to make the waistband and pocket. You may recognize the yellow stripe from my last apron. I had just a little left - enough for the ties and a small border along the top of the pocket. I added a big red button to the pocket and, because that still wasn't enough, I used a bit more of the polkadots along the bottom.







That made a pretty long apron, which is fine for me because I'm 5'9, but it was a bit too long for my model - the lovely Lyn who was visiting this week from Tennessee and who agreed to model it for me. I'm happy with how this apron turned out and with how easy it was to do. I have several cute vintage towels with embroidery and this is another option for using them.

Be sure to check out the other submissions - there are some very talented ladies out there.

3 comments:

kath red said...

i loved this apron - gorgeous fabric and colour combo

Gina E. said...

I can't believe it - another month gone by and I still didn't get around to making an apron...even from a tea towel, of which I have dozens! Guess I will just stick to collecting them...Your efforts have all been simply gorgeous, Janet! One can tell at a glance that this is your choice of work for a living!!

kay susan said...

This is really excellent, your embellishments added just the right touch. Wow!