3.18.2006

Even though it's snowing...



...happy first day of spring! While I was running around on Saturday morning getting my new collection photographed and ready to list for today, I actually saw a bluebird at my bird feeder. That's a first. We do have indigo buntings - also blue - but I've never seen a bluebird here. Since it was 20 degrees he didn't look too happy and soon flew off.

But I took it as a good omen. You see, my new pillows are all about birds. And the photo I wanted to use to introduce it has bluebirds, too. I found this chippy vintage plate at an antique shop for $1. The chips just give it character and I love the painted birds and flowers. I bought it to hold business cards when I do craft shows, but mostly it holds loose buttons in my studio. I thought a photo of it would make a nice graphic for introducing the collection.

About that. I was going through my stash of vintage linens last fall and noticed that I had lots and lots of things with birds. Damask tablecloths, redwork quilt blocks, embroidered runners, appliqued tea towels. I even had a few fabrics with little birdhouses and flying birds. "Hmmm", I thought "what can I do with all this stuff?" And a spring collection was born. Nine new pillows!

I had planned to walk our property and gardens today to check for more hints of spring, but with the snow it might be better to stay indoors. Maybe I'll do a little spring cleaning in my studio - it could use it :)

No comments: