11.13.2009

it's beginning to look a lot like...

...Christmas. In my studio, that is!

holiday tissue cozies
Tissue cozies waiting for buttons.

I don't usually make things especially for Christmas, or any holiday for that matter. I tried it with pillows my first year but only sold a few and was stuck with them until the following year. They didn't sell then either and I said "never again."

But, this year I had a few requests from shop owners for holiday-themed tissue cozies, so I took the plunge. I bought six of the prettiest prints I could find (why are holiday prints so awful?) and made up four of each. Luckily I had a lot of red and green buttons and some pearl ones for the blue snowflake print.

snowflakes
It's hard to tell from the photo but the snowflakes are printed in silver.

While I was shopping for fabric I fell in love with this cute snowman print. Not my usual thing at all but there's something adorable about him. I have zippers in that darker blue color so I'll make a few zippered bags from this fabric.

snowman fabric

My friend Jenny had a great idea for using the zippered bags and she bought a bunch of them from me earlier this fall. Put a gift card inside, wrap it up, and you've got a dual-purpose gift for the holidays. Sounds like a plan!

10 comments:

Melody said...

Ditto ! I'm with you. Altho I did just finish a Christmas apron, but I just accented the pocket. If it isn't gone.....It's easily recreated by a snip of the scissor.

inkywasfat said...

Cute.

ria vogelzang said...

What a lovely little gifts!!! And such pretty fabrics! You really did a great job!

Apron Thrift Girl said...

These are lovely and will make super gifts. I'm terrible but leave handmade gifts to the last second. I'm guessing I'll really start working on them in December. What a great start you have made.

Niesz Vintage Home said...

Love that blue snowflake print!

Kimberly :)

Smita said...

Beautiful!!!

I don't do any stitching (my granny was never too proud about that) but I have fallen in love with your blog ;-) I came in search of a simple blanket stitch instruction and yours seems easy enough for a novice like me to follow. Thank you!

Do visit me some time at http://kreativityandme.blogspot.com

Love,
Smita

(((((HUGS))))) sandi said...

I LOVE THESE! Will you be adding them to your store? (((((HUGS))))) sandi~totally head-vah-heels fer yer blog!!!!

janet said...

Yes, Sandi, I'll be putting one of each design on my website. Look for them on the tissue cozies page in the accessories section. Possibly tomorrow but definitely by Monday!

Kathy said...

I love the snowman fabric....where did you find it??? I want to make a winter purse and can't find snowman fabric that isn't Christmasy.

janet said...

Kathy, I bought the fabric last year at Joann Fabrics but I'm pretty sure I saw it this year again. Actually they had a lot of holiday prints that weren't too Christmasy - more wintery. They're all probably marked way down now (like 60% off) to make room for Valentine's, St. Pat's and Easter fabrics.