1.31.2013

thanks USPS


The new postal rates went into effect this week and wow, they've really gone up in some cases. Like for international shipping. Prices are at least twice what they were and I'm afraid no one is going to be willing to pay them. I sell a lot of vintage buttons and fabric to buyers in Europe, Japan, and Australia and shipping prices are now more than the cost of the items!

I've heard that some shops and sellers are no longer going to ship internationally. I'm not quite there yet. I'm all about options and, if a customer is willing to pay the higher rates, then I'm not going to stop them from buying. Even though filling out customs forms really sucks and I have to drive to the post office to mail their packages.

But, until I've properly figured out the new prices, I've removed the international shipping option from my Etsy listings (except for the embroidery patterns which are emailed PDFs). If you want to make a purchase, convo me first with your location and I'll get you an accurate price and update the listing for you. Sorry for the inconvenience.

The post office complains that they're losing money. I just wish they didn't have to take measures that hurt the companies that use their services the most. If I lose customers because they aren't willing to pay the higher prices then I'm not shipping as many packages; how is that helping?

No comments: