12.02.2007

paper cranes

Looking through an old Christmas issue of Better Homes & Gardens (December 1961), among the weird recipes for cookies made from peanut butter, butterscotch chips and chow mein noodles* (no kidding!) and the letters to the editor about the dangers of communism (this was during the "red" scare), there was a section on making homemade Christmas ornaments. Most seem kind of silly, but the origami cranes made from colored tissue paper still look modern today.



I like the directions for folding paper cranes on this page.

This is a one of the harder designs to make with lots of tricky folds, so if you need more help, try here (and read about the peace crane project), here, and here (this is a Greek blog so you probably won't be able to read it but she has a nice photo of the finished cranes on a tree).

I bought a package of origami paper (the folk art print kind) yesterday at AC Moore so I'm going to try a few of these for my tree. And I think a string of them along the top of a window would be kind of cool, too.

* OK, I guess I know nothing about cookies because yes, these haystacks are quite popular and can also be made with chocolate chips and no peanut butter. I didn't know. Maybe it's a regional thing? They still don't sound good to me but having never tried them—who knows? Anyway, I stand corrected :)

9 comments:

said...

The butterscotch, peanut butter, chow mein noodles recipe is called haystacks and they're SO good!

Catherine said...

The last blog you linked is in Greek, not Russian.

I know, I'm a dork. :)

AmeliaB said...

Please post pics of your finished cranes. :-) I have always wanted to make those little cranes.

Amelia

Junie Moon said...

I love origami projects so I look forward to reading your adventure and seeing a photo of your creation.

janet said...

Thanks Catherine! I went back and changed it in my post. I should have known it was Greek but I didn't pay enough attention. I can't read either one anyway. A little French, a little Italian, a bit more Spanish - that's about it for me :)

Ellen said...

That's so funny about the chow mein noodles -- there's a recipe for that in this month's Woman's Day magazine (I threw it in my cart on Saturday, hoping for some craft inspiration - alas, no).

I did a doubletake when I first read it. It's an article featuring Nancy O'Dell (who?) and some of the cookie recipes she makes with her kids.

iHanna said...

Great! I've been wanting to fold a paper crane for a while now... :-)

Dallas said...

The cranes look very pretty - do you know the tradition about 1000 paper cranes and making a wish? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thousand_origami_cranes

Anonymous said...

My mil makes those haystack things & sorry to those who like them, but "blech"...she continues to make them every single year & nobody seems to eat them. They are just easy, I guess.
I received the sachet & it is so pretty sitting on my bookcase next to a Santa cup...I have to decorate this weekend.
I love Origami but those cranes were so hard for me to understand...I can make boxes & balloons, 'tho. :)