12.20.2009

vintage treats

You'd think that working at home would give me lots of free time to get ready for the holiday. Like doing some decorating, wrapping presents (at least I have presents), and baking. But so far that hasn't happened. Now that Christmas orders have slowed, maybe I'll get some time this week.

I'd like to try this recipe that I clipped from one of those 1960s women's magazines I found at the flea market. I haven't made fudge for ages and coffee, chocolate, and pecans sounds like the perfect combination of flavors to me. Here's the recipe in case you'd like to try it, too. I'll let you know how mine turns out.

fudge

Coffee Dot Fudge

3 cups sugar
1 cup milk
1/2 cup light cream
2 tablespoons instant coffee
1 tablespoon light corn syrup
dash salt
3 tablespoons butter
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 6-ounce package semisweet chocolate pieces
1/2 cup broken pecans

Butter sides of heavy 3-quart saucepan. In it combine sugar, milk, light cream, instant coffee, corn syrup, and salt. Heat over medium heat, stirring constantly, until sugar dissolves and mixture come to boiling. Then cook to soft-ball stage (234°), stirring only if necessary. Immediately remove from heat; add butter and cool to lukewarm (110°) without stirring. Add vanilla. Beat vigorously until fudge becomes very thick and starts to lose its gloss. At once stir in chocolate pieces and pecans. Quickly spread in buttered shallow pan or small platter. Score into squares while warm and, if desired, top each with a pecan half. Cut when firm.

Better Homes & Gardens, December 1961

3 comments:

Sioux B said...

It is very dangerous to read recipes when you are hungry. And double dangerous when they sound so good! I love the picture, too, how very 60s. Gonna definitely try it.

Mom Wald said...

OMGoodness, everyone is doing fudge, you, Georgia Peachez, and it looks so tasty!

Grandma made the best and didn't teach anyone, aaagh. At least I can make her butter cookies.

Please take a photo of the ones you make!

manila condominiums said...

That Coffee Dot Fudge looks so beautiful. Thank you for posting its ingredients and procedure on how to make it. I will surely try that at home.