1.24.2007

A secret revealed

It's nearly killed me to not talk about this, but I've been keeping a secret since last summer. And having worked on a few book designs myself during my career as a graphic designer, I know how easy it is to be bumped from a book at the last minute. I didn't want to jinx it by talking about it too soon. But I've seen proofs and the book is scheduled for release in a few weeks so I think it's finally safe to announce it to the world!

vintage handkerchief pillow

Back in July I was asked to contribute a project for one of my handkerchief pillows (the one shown here) to a book about modern crafting being written by Amy Spencer and published by Marion Boyars Publishing in the UK. Of course, I said yes, and wrote up a pattern and shipped the pillow off to London. Through a series of mixups that I won't go into detail about, the package went missing. Luckily I had taken photos (as I do with everything I make, because you just never know) and they were able to use them in place of the ones their photographer would have taken. Three months later, the pillow showed up at my door. I had to pay the return shipping from the UK to get it back but I was so relieved to see it.

Anyway, this is the book and it's filled with projects from crafters and small businesses that will be familiar to you. Like Subversive Cross Stitch, Gerbera Designs, Jill Bliss, and Angry Chicken. And I'm honored and thrilled to be part of the group.

Crafter Culture Handbook

The book is due to be released on February 10th and can be preordered from Amazon now. If you live in the UK you can preorder directly from the publisher and get free shipping. I can't wait until my copy arrives. It won't really feel real until I have the book in my hands :)

1.28 Updated to add that there's a complete project list at the publishers web site.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Horray--how fun, can't wait to see the book.

Junie Moon said...

How awesome! I am so excited for you and all the other crafters featured in the book. I'm going over to Amazon.com and see if I can get my name on the preorder list.

Anonymous said...

This is so awesome Janet! I can't wait for the release! In fact, I think I'll just head over to Amazon right now...

Anonymous said...

Congratulations, Janet! You're receiving some well-deserved recognition - and international recognition too. Bravo!

robin said...

Wow, that is so amazing...congratulations! Of course, your work is absolutely beautiful, so no one is surprised!
Can't wait to check out the book.

Anonymous said...

congratulations! How neat! I love the pillow, by the way.

charlotte said...

great news, Janet! the pillow is darling, can't wait to see the book!

Vintage Indie said...

Yay, I didn't know you were in this book! So am I! I need to pull mine out and look for your pillow design. I'm under my Vintage Body Spa business. So cool!