2.16.2007

Studio Friday: Drawing a blank!

It's one of the most feared events in the life of an artist. Sometimes it can take a long time to overcome this sudden stop of the creative juices. What do you do? How do you act and react? How do you get back to splashing around in all colours? Do you fight it or work with it?

My head is so full of ideas that this rarely happens to me. But, when I'm feeling blocked, I pull out my idea notebooks or go through my piles of fabrics and linens, and I can usually find something to inspire me and pull me back in.

If that still doesn't work, then I don't fight it. Sometimes we just need a break from our everyday routine. I like to walk in the woods behind my house, usually with my camera in hand as it forces me to really look at my surroundings. Sometimes I'll do a short roadtrip to a local antique mall or junk store to hunt for materials to inspire me. For me, the blocks don't last very long and I've stopped getting stressed about them.

When you have your own business there are so many things that need to be done that aren't creative so, on days when I'm not feeling very inspired, I'll work on mundane tasks. Like ironing, or photographing products, or updating my books for taxes. I get impatient with these kinds of tasks when I am inspired, so it's the perfect thing when I'm not. Or maybe it's that they're so boring :)

Read more Studio Friday posts here. And happy second birthday, Studio Friday!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

A perfect way to get through those periods. I think it's important to step back and do something else.

Anonymous said...

It's that business side of the business of creativity that can hard to work around.

Anonymous said...

what a great way to get through your days when you are drawing a {blank} on inspiration.

i can relate!!!

Denasimoneaux

kelly barton art + design said...

oh...i work from home too! and it is a crazy type of balance. its funny, my mom used to tell me i worked too hard. but now that i work from home, she isn't satisfied with how i schedule my time here. but there are things that have to be done, so if i can only paint/design at 10pm then that is when i do it. i wouldn't change it for the world!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for all your wishes! great post! ;-)