3.28.2008

thinking about spring

Unfortunately, thinking is all I can do at this point. Yes, the robins are back and some of my perennials are starting to send up little hints of green but it's still pretty chilly and much too early to start planting. I do have my seeds though so I'm ready when the weather begins to cooperate.

Aren't these seeds packets pretty?



My local garden center carries this brand of seed (among others), and the packages are so beautiful that I'm tempted to buy all of them. Surely my garden will look as fantastic as these illustrations! Perhaps not but a girl can dream can't she?

I have three large planters with trellises in front of the garage and I'm going to try these nasturtiums instead of my usual morning glories. Peach Melba and Cherry Rose Jewel - sounds yummy enough to eat! Of course, I'm going to have to wait to plant these until after we get the garage siding done. When we bought our place, the house had already been done but not the garage and it just looks weird. Not that I like siding (I actually hate it on old houses) but it seems easier to add it to the garage than remove it from the house. Hopefully this will be happening in April or May. Waiting now for my accountant to finish the taxes to see whether I can afford it or not :)

So, here I am with my seed packets, still waiting for spring.

P.S. Yes, that's a real banner at the top of my blog. After many false starts I finally figured out how to add it to the template without screwing everything else up. It only took three years - LOL!

Updated to add a link to Botanical Interests. I bought my seeds at a smallish local garden center. Tammy spotted some in California, so they're out there but probably not at larger chain stores like Walmart. But, thanks to online ordering, you can get them wherever you live. And it's nice to see the entire line—I know my local store didn't have all of them.

11 comments:

AndreaLea said...

Those are wonderful seed packets! You could frame them after using the seeds if you opened them carefully.

Nice banner!

Rosa said...

I like your new banner. Primroses are my favorite early spring flower. Hopefully I'll be able to figure out the banner thing one day as well!

The Apron Queen said...

I've been lurking around your blog recently. I absolutely love all the vintage goodness here! So, I thought it was time to leave a comment, introduce myself & say Hello.

I also collect vintage items & I love sharing them with everyone! I have started hosting a weekly blog carnival called Vintage Thingies Thursdays. I think you'll really enjoy it. Come on over. I'll fix you a glass of iced tea & you can put your feet up!

Confessions of an Apron Queen: http://anapronaday.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

I was at the Garden Center last week & spotted those pretty seed packets! I may go back & get some after all. Nasturiums are edible, too.
tammyCA

Anonymous said...

Hi! Those seed packets almost look vintage- you could tea-stain them for a more authentic vintage look OR you could scan and transfer them to material with your computer scanner and you could make some pillows!! Ha ha ha - that's what I would do anyway!

did you get those seed packets are wal*mart or where? I would love to purchase some for my Girl's Learn and Play Group! we're planning on planting a large garden and I would like to have the packets after the seeds are planted.

PS. I love your banner - primroses and lilies are my favorite!
- Bailey

Anonymous said...

Oh yes ! I forgot - I also wanted to add to "tammyCA"'s comment - natriums and viola's are edible and look darling added ontop of cream cheese and chive sandwhiches ( which I usually serve during Tea or small luncheons- always a big hit!)
-Bailey

JoeyJoJo said...

Maybe this link may be of use for star gazer lilies. Maybe tiger lilies too.
http://www.easytogrowbulbs.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=460

RhettaRic said...

I wish you'd do an entry for how to put that banner in your heading!! Please?

Julie said...

So many people are blogging about seeds and packet designs but I just can't get into it yet. Too much snow on the ground here still.

KR said...

I'm holding off on planting too... too much going on right now! I'm glad to know I'm not alone in my belated gardening! ;)

The packets look beautiful. I agree you should frame them!

Kristin
http://homegrownrose.typepad.com/reclaimingthehome

Sita said...

Hi I came to your blog in a very round about way.your prmroses are lovely.;the Nasturtium pictures,too.Thanks for giving the info on how long it took you to figure out the how of the banner.I am a new blogger and sometimes feel frustrated.Your post gave me a dose of patience.