11.09.2007

no two are the same

My friend Anni recently sent me a link to an interview she did about her participation in the auctions to benefit Robert's Snow: for Cancer's Cure. Having two parents who died of cancer and being a cancer survivor myself, this is an issue that's close to my heart.



So, what's this all about? I couldn't describe it any better so here's what they say on the website:

Own a piece of art from your favorite children's book illustrator while helping to fight cancer. Participate in Robert's Snow: for Cancer's Cure, a unique fundraiser for cancer research. Since 2004, this online auction has raised over $200,000 for Dana-Farber, and with your help, we can continue this holiday tradition in 2007.

"Robert's Snow" is a children's story about a mouse not allowed in the snow. Children's book illustrator Grace Lin wrote the book, which was inspired by her husband Robert's battle with Ewing's sarcoma. After the book was published, Grace gathered artists from all over the children's book illustrating community to create special snowflakes to be auctioned off, with the proceeds benefiting sarcoma research at Dana-Farber. These snowflake auctions became known as the event "Robert's Snow."


When I worked as a children's magazine art director I had the opportunity (really more of an honor since these artists are so awesome) to work with so many wonderful artists and illustrators including Anni and several others who've I've since kept in touch with. Many of them made snowflakes for this auction and I'd like to give a special shout-out to those I've worked with personally—Stephanie Roth (whose snowflake you can see here), Ellen Beier, Philomena O'Neill, John Nez (see his snowflake here), Jane Dippold (see hers here), Judith Moffatt (my personal favorite snowflake—I'm keeping an eye on this one) and Anni, whose snowflake she generously allowed me to publish a picture of here.

Pop on over to see all the snowflakes and make a bid on your favorites if you're so inclined and finances allow. It's a worthy cause and you'll have a chance to own an original piece of art from some truly talented and creative artists. Auctions happen on November 19-23, November 26-30 and December 3-7.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

They are beautiful and for such a good cause. I am a cancer survivor, too, and count my blessings for that each day. Thank you for sharing this.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for posting that! I had seen those a couple years ago but forgot all about them. Off to drool!

Anni Matsick said...

Thanks for featuring my 'flake, Janet! I like Judy's, too! Hope we bring in the bucks bigtime.