9.09.2007

later on sunday

We're heading north again on Route 7 and eventually will settle in one place for a few nights. But we have a few stops to make first. We take a detour off the main road and we're on so many small back roads that I'm starting to question the maps I printed out before we left. Where the heck were we? But finally we come back out into civilization and arrive in Southfield, home of Buggy Whip Factory Antiques. The shop is located inside an old wood frame factory building and has 20,000 square feet of space, antiques downstairs and reproductions upstairs.

I find a painted wall shelf...

wall shelf

...some vintage towels, one with bluebirds and the other with a cute embroidered dog. And I can’t resist this vintage tiered egg rack with chippy cream paint.

egg rack

I don’t know yet what I’ll use it for but it looks like a display piece to me! Oh, and I score a vintage sewing basket with lime satin padding inside. Some of the rattan is coming loose at the edges of the top but it’s in almost perfect condition otherwise. It makes a perfect storage place for all those trims I bought yesterday :)

sewing basket

sewing basket

We wind our way back out to Route 7 and continue north. By this point we're starving and spot a Greek restaurant called Aegean Breeze where we have a very nice lunch. We love Greek food and don't have any restaurants near us so this is a treat.

greek restaurant

And, of course, we finish up with thick Greek coffee and baklava (made by the chef’s mother!)

baklava

Then it's back on the road to Stockbridge. More on that tomorrow. Told you I'd get lots of posts out of this trip!

Aegean Breeze Restaurant, 327 Stockbridge Road (Rt. 7), Great Barrington, MA 01230, 413.528.4001

The Buggy Whip Factory Antique Market Place, Main Street, Southfield, MA 01259, 413.229.3576

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, I love that egg holder. So cute!

lisa {milkshake} said...

Ditto on the egg holder! I could see some of my seashore rock collection hanging out in there ;)

Wendy said...

For the egg holder, how bout using it as a cake stand sort of thing for smallish sized cupcakes? Like at a little tea party.

Or is it too valuable to do that, being vintage and all?

janet said...

It's pretty rustic-looking (chipped paint and slightly wobbly) so I don't think it's too valuable for cupcakes! I hardly ever buy really valuable stuff anyway. Most of the things I like were designed for everyday use and I'm happy to do just that. Although I might use it for a different purpose than what it was originally designed for :)

Anonymous said...

I have that same floral plaque with the hooks. I use it in my studio to hold keys to various cabinets...I just love it!

Anonymous said...

Lovely finds and I'm glad you found so much adventure in your trip. That's what is wonderful about traveling, experiencing new places and all they have to offer. Thank you for sharing your travels.

Anonymous said...

It would be neat to use to hold pretty paperweights