10.07.2007

vintage magazines

Remember last spring when Irene asked about how to do the lazy daisy stitch with two colors? And I said that it must have been done with two needles. I was looking through some copies of Needlecraft Magazine that I found at the flea market yesterday (more about these in a minute) and found a reader comment about this subject. Here's what Mrs. W.C. from New Hampshire had to say:

" When desiring to hold down the tips of lazy-daisy petals with another color, instead of using two needles. I make the tiny holding-stitches first, all around the flower, then the other can easily be brought up and slipped in under."

So, now we know another way to do this without juggling two needles!



Now, about the magazines. If you ever come across these in your travels, and can find them at a good price (these were $4 each—which is incredibly cheap for their age), don't pass them up. Not only are they full of vintage patterns for embroidery, sewing, and crochet, but they're a unique slice of life from the period. And the ads are hysterical—like this one for "educated" canaries.

canaries

The issues I found yesterday are from 1926, 1929, and 1930, so lots of cool art deco-inspired designs. I'll see what else I can find in them to post about. I know there are pages of gorgeous dress designs in the fashion sections!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Janet,
It's me, Irene. I just saw your post about the lazy daisy stitch solution. I am going to try this as soon as I get a chance. Thank so much for the info. Love reading your blog.

Irene H.

Anonymous said...

What a helpful tip--I'll keep an eye out for these little magazines.

Anonymous said...

Hi Janet,
Your posts are the best.
Jill Z.

Vintage Indie said...

What a great find! I don't sew, well not yet anyway, but your posts are always so inspiring :o)

Casey Maura said...

What a great tip! I have a huge stack of these that I picked up last year at a flea market (I think I managed to snag about a dozen... they had no clue what they had!!), and I just love looking at all the lovely needlework and crafts. So much fun! :)

janet said...

I've seen these for about $20 (each) at antique stores, so, if you can find them cheaper, grab them! I think knitters and crocheters will find them especially useful since a lot of the patterns are for those kinds of things.

Anonymous said...

I never thought of using 2 colors for the lazy daisy like that...I'll have to try it - thanks!

I just love that pattern you have with the kitten embroidering & the bluebird helping. I thought I might have it & searched through my rather large vintage collection (and I have quite a few kitten ones) - nope, I don't have it. Is it a Aunt Martha's - do you have the pattern #? I'd love to get the pattern & embroider one since I am a bluebird collector.

I don't have any of those particular needlcraft magazines but I do have some other vintage ones & I love those old ads!
Love your blog, too.

janet said...

Several people have asked about the cat/bluebird pattern that I use for the logo. It's not a printed pattern like the Workbasket ones but is one of a set of stamped-for-embroidery day-of-the-week towels. Unfortunately I have only four of the original seven towels. And that's why I haven't offered the patterns for sale.

I always try to get the complete set before selling the patterns but maybe that's not important. They are cute designs and I suspect most people won't use them to embroidery sets of towels anyway. I may need to rethink this :)