5.05.2006

Studio Friday: Sounds

“What are the sounds in your studio?” Sit quietly and listen. I am sure you’ll be surprised at what you hear!”

My studio is a pretty quiet place. There’s the whirrr of the sewing machine, of course. And the occasional hiss of steam from the iron that stays plugged in most of the time. My red clock ticks softly.



The room I work in (which used to be a spare bedroom) is at the back of the house so I can faintly hear cars going by. Even though I’m in a rural area my house is right on the road. That’s typical of homes built before cars and mine dates to 1862. I usually walk down the driveway to get the mail from the mailbox across the road, but, when I have packages, the mailperson drives up and honks her horn so I can run down and sign for them.

When I have the windows open I can hear birds singing. My studio faces the woods in the back and the yard on the side and both are home to many species of birds. One (and I’m not sure what it is) has the most amazing long trill that’s just beautiful.

My cats often hang out with me—mostly sleeping but sometimes knocking buttons or spools of thread off my work table just for the thrill of it. But, when it’s time for their noon treats, they let me know by meowing loudly. I talk to them sometimes, too.

I’m probably the only person on the planet who doesn’t listen to music when I work. I was one of those kids that couldn’t do homework to music either – if that explains anything. I like quiet when I work—it helps me to stay focused. When I’m in my car? Now that’s a different story :)

More sounds here,

4 comments:

carrie s. said...

You are definitely NOT the only one who doesn't listen to music when you work! I go through spurts of music and silence. I should track them...maybe I'll learn something new about myself!

I love seeing your spaces!

Going For Greatness said...

I love the colour in your studio! What a beautiful, rich room that is!!
It sounds beautiful where you live. We're moving to South East Pa ( Chadds Ford/Kennet Square) within the next couple of months, I LOVE it because of the vineyards, historical places and OLD GORGEOUS ESTATE and FARM HOUSES!!!!)
have a great weekend!!
~Gabi

tlchang said...

*sigh* an 1862 farm house... I miss being around older architecture... (most of the houses here date from the 1960s or later. Blech!) I went to an antique market here the other day, just to reconfirm that there is not much in the way of real antiques here, and what there is is so ridiculously priced as to not be worth the effort.

Your studio 'sounds' beautiful.

Abbie said...

I love the clock! I work in the peace and quiet too. (when life lets me! :) which is not too often) Music has a tendancy to impact my work so I, too, stay away from it.

:)abbie