5.23.2006

Weekend Finds

I made a quick stop at the antique mall on Saturday and found a bunch of cool stuff at the button booth. Notice the square and diamond theme I've got going. Funny how that seems to happen.



And I scored a bunch of cool handkerchiefs for $1 each!

I've been reading a book from the library by Pat Long Gardner called Handkerchief Quilts and I'm getting ideas for how I might use some of the handkerchiefs I've collected to make small quilts. I sometimes make pillows with them but I like the idea of having a slightly larger (18 to 24 inches square) size to work with. Pat uses printed hankies from the 30s to 60s, placing each in the center and building outward with coordinating colors and patterns. Like this one called Shall We Dance?:



And this one by Tom Lamb called Marching Bear that uses a 1930s children's hanky:



Aren't they cool? And, with my funkier stash of fabrics and color sense, I think I can do some fun things with this idea. Can't wait to get started!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Primrose Design is one of my 'favoritist' blogs to read! I love looking at all the beautiful things you show. thank you!

Anne said...

These are super cool kerchiefs! $1!!! Can't wait to see what you do with them.