11.09.2006

Fabric shopping

I'm usually very excited when the new Hancocks of Paducah catalog arrives in my mailbox. If you have a fabric addiction, you know how easy it is to spend hours poring over the new choices. But I'm strangely disappointed in the latest edition. Why are all the fabrics so dark and dreary? Because it's winter? Bah!

Yesterday I had a client meeting (for my graphic design business) north of Philadelphia and that put me very close to one of my favorite fabric and quilt shops, Country Quiltworks (515 Stump Road, Montgomeryville). But the problem for me with quilt shops is that there are too many options. I'm all excited at first, then quickly get overwhelmed until it all becomes a blur. Still lots of dark prints but I found a couple of fun things to add to my stash. Bet you can't tell I have a thing for polkadots :)

wild.rosedotsumbrellasfruit.dots
(Almost Poppy by Laura Heine for RJR Fabrics, QuiltPink by Moda, Kate's Umbrellas by Felicity Miller for Westminster Fibers, and Happy Times by Sharon Evans Yenter for In the Beginnings Fabrics.)

When I got home two hours later I had a package in my mailbox with some fabrics I'd won on Ebay a few days ago. When I don't find much that I like in the catalogs and shops, I turn back to Ebay for vintage fabrics. It's still the best place I know to find them and the patterns are usually much nicer than modern fabrics. I'm loving both of these.

red dot flowersyellow blue flowers

Just a little eye candy to brighten up another rainy day!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello,
We must be ebay-bidding on the same fabric!...Great fabrics in this post - I like those umbrellas! I definitely feel the same way about fabric shopping at quilt stores...Yeah, and what's up with all those dreary fabrics - I think we should be surrounded by more cheerful fabric during the winter season...