7.11.2007

it's too hot...

..said with a whiny voice like the ones your kids use when there's nothing to do.

Sorry for my lack of blogging for the past few days. The heatwave left me feeling kind of queasy and weird and it was all I could do to get the things done that I really had to do. Like my "real" work (the graphic design kind) and that wholesale order for sachets that I need to deliver on Saturday. I'm working on those today.

Besides that I've been trying to keep the garden from drying out too much, and picking and freezing peas (of which we have a bumper crop this year). Mostly I've been lazy, spending the afternoons in the hammock reading—and under the ceiling fan, which moves the warm air around a little.

No, our old house doesn't have air conditioning. And that's usually OK with me. I don't really like it anyway and this hot weather is an exception where I live. The house was well designed to stay cool with a stone basement and windows placed for good circulation. And I leave all the windows open at night with fans to let the cool air in, then close up the house during the hottest part of the day. My studio, which is upstairs, gets too hot to work in so I try to spend some time there early in the morning and after the sun goes down. I'm so looking forward to the rain that's predicted for today!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hope you're finding ways to keep cool! We have an old house, no a/c either, but it's not so bad. Here where I live in Norway, it's not common for private homes to have a/c (I'm originally from the US, so I know all about a/c--LOL!) Here it's been rainign off & on for weeks, so scarce need for a fan even *SIGH* Happy weekend to you & yours :o)