11.12.2008

baby pillow

Here are some pictures of the custom baby pillow I'm working on. The person who commissioned it sent me fabrics that she had leftover from sewing the bedding for the nursery...

IMG_4422

Then she chose one of my birdie embroidery patterns for the center panel. I've made so many of these designs (see more here, here, and here) that the embroidery goes really fast.

IMG_4424

I picked my floss colors from the fabrics, except for the ladybug, which really had to be red. But I did pick a softer, more coral-colored red so it wouldn't clash with the other softer tones. Even the black isn't really black—it's actually a dark brown with a purplish cast.

IMG_4425

I finished the pillow top last night and now I just have to do the back.

And, in case you were wondering, yes, I do custom work. That's how I got started and I still do a fair amount of it. Some examples are baby pillows like this one. I've also turned handkerchiefs, pillowcases, and embroidered towels into pillows—the same way I do my own creations but with the materials supplied by the customer. It's a great way to preserve linens you may have inherited from family members but don't want to actually use (and get stained or ruined). I also complete stamped embroidery projects for people who don't have the skills or time to do so themselves. Feel free to email me if you'd like to schedule a project.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

awww the pillow looks adorable so far! I can't wait to see the finished product!

Anonymous said...

That is going to be 'sew' cute!
Custom work is so much more special. Fabric,vintage accents, color choice,it usually comes from a place of memories. You do put it all together.

Anonymous said...

How adorable, what a cute little motif too! I just know you're going to do something fantastic with it.

Sioux B said...

What a sweet birdie!

I especially like the "square" stitches you used for the letters on the block - they are very effective. What stitch is that?

janet said...

The squares aren't a special stitch. It's just straight stitches for the cross pieces and outline (or stem) for the outer edges. The straight stitches are done first so the outline covers up the ends!

Anonymous said...

Sweet. I love stitching the bluebird patterns I have.

Alison said...

i just wanted to say, "bless your soul." I know i shouldn't try to learn new stitches when I'm PMSing, but I just had to! thankfully your tutorials saved my poor husband from what was soon to be "how do you do this damn outline stitch!" rage. thanks again.

Sioux B said...

Simple and effective - that's my favorite way to stitch! Thanks for sharing your tips!