10.20.2008

coming together

I finished the embroidery on Saturday and then soaked and washed the finished blocks to remove the storage dirt and transfer lines. I also washed and ironed all the fabrics I'll be using for the quilt. On Sunday, I started cutting and sewing. So far, each block is surrounded by a strip of the green pindot (Recess by American Jane - Sandy Klop for Moda) and a corner square of the brown dots (Michael Miller Dumb Dots). The corner squares were not on my original sketch but I thought the quilt needed more brown and it solved the problem of matching dots (nearly impossible to get right) in the corners.

tiger

I love the tiger with his little coral flower. But I really love the raccoon eating the coral berries and it was a good opportunity to practice my satin stitch.

raccoon

The monkey holding a banana is also very sweet. They're all so darn cute that it's hard to pick a favorite block.

monkey

Next up is a wider strip of the coral stripe (Timeless Treasures # Daisy C) and larger brown dot corner blocks. That will tie all the embroidered blocks together, then I'll see how much room I have on the border. I may do a thin strip of alternating brown and green squares but I haven't decided yet. Lots left to do!

10 comments:

Sweetness and Light said...

Janet, it is positively adorable and precious!!

Artfulife said...

This is adorable! I found you through Grosgrain's blog. What a fun quilt for a lucky little tyke.

jan said...

I love the blocks! Your colors combining skills generate envy in me!

bella said...

Those are the cutest critters ever. Can't wait to see the finished quilt.

bella said...

Those are the cutest critters. I can't wait to see the completed quilt.

Anonymous said...

Too Cute! Can't wait to see the final product!

Anonymous said...

They are all cute. I am sure the little boy will enjoy looking at them. It is like a picture book. I love the raccoon the best; his bushy tail; masked eye. Thanks!

JZ in VA

Anonymous said...

Oh I just love those animals. So cute!

Anonymous said...

The quilt looks adorable...the color scheme really works.

Lori said...

Love your embroidery of the animals! I am sure the little guy will love it!
Lori