12.20.2006

a holiday meme

A holiday-themed meme inspired by Kim at Olive Juice & Co.:

1. Egg Nog or Hot Chocolate?
I like both but, since I have to choose, then hot chocolate. Made with real cocoa and without marshmallows.

2. Does Santa wrap presents or just set them under the tree?
Wraps, and in fun color-coordinated papers and ribbons. He must shop at Target, too!

3. Colored lights on tree/house or white?
Tiny white ones and some that are shaped like chile peppers from a previous southwestern decorating phase.

4. Do you hang mistletoe?
I sometimes hang a kissing ball that's made with artificial mistletoe but I can't seem to find it this year. I know it's somewhere in that attic closet.

5. When do you put your decorations up?
When I find the time. It's Christmas week and I'm just finishing the tree.

6. What is your favorite holiday dish (excluding dessert)?
We aren't very traditional when it comes to holiday dinners and change the menu every year. But, if we serve turkey or chicken, then stuffing would be my favorite thing. Mmmmm...carbs.

7. Favorite holiday memory as a child.
We lived in a townhouse-style apartment complex and everyone would decorate their windows and front porches. In a traditional way—this was before icicle lights and those ugly hot air-filled monstrosities that everyone seems to have on their lawns these days. We always seemed to have snow for Christmas and sometime during the week before we'd wait until it got dark, then bundle up in warm clothing and walk through the streets looking at all the lights. It was magical.

8. When and how did you learn the truth about Santa?
Probably from one of my older friends but I had a younger brother and sister so had to pretend anyway.

9. Do you open a gift on Christmas Eve?
We open all our gifts on Christmas Eve. We don't have kids so why wait. But when I was a kid, we always waited until the morning. And only after our parents woke up.

10. How do you decorate your Christmas Tree?
With lots of treasured ornaments—old glass ones inherited from my parents, crocheted white snowflakes, quirky carved and painted animals that I've picked up over the years.

11. Snow! Love it or Dread it?
I don't think we'll be getting any in time for Christmas this year—it's too warm. Snow is pretty, but I live out in a rural area so it can be a pain to get around in it.

12. Can you ice skate?
I can. But I haven't done it in something like 20 years and I have weak ankles so was never very steady on my feet.

13. Do you remember your favorite gift?
I used to get those ginormous boxes of Crayolas every year. I was into art so it was the perfect gift for me.

14. What's the most important thing about the Holidays for you?
Spending time with family and friends.

15. What is your favorite Holiday Dessert?
Gingerbread with lemon sauce.

16. What is your favorite holiday tradition?
Baking cookies.

17. What tops your tree?
A silver star.

18. Which do you prefer giving or receiving?
Giving. I spend lots of time thinking up and looking for the perfect gifts.

19. What is your favorite Christmas Song?
Carol of the Bells, especially the piano version performed by David Lanz and Michael Jones on Solstice.

20. Candy Canes! Yuck or Yum?
Meh. What I really like is chocolate peppermint bark!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi there! So glad you decided to play. It's great to *meet* you. :) Your site is adorable....I love vintage finds. I'm bookmarking it.