10.20.2006

Studio Friday: Autumn Inspiration

"Autumn inspiration - According to my calendar, today (Sept 22) is the "Autumnal Equinox," and it's my favorite season, so show me what you love about the fall - the colors?... the leaves?...etc."
~ Kerri


In pagan religions the year is seen as a wheel that symbolizes the eternal cycle of life. Autumn is the time for harvesting what we've sown, for reflecting on our place in that cycle, and for honoring those who have gone on before us. All around us things are dying, transitioning into winter, and preparing to be reborn next spring.

I love that, amongst the decay, there are these last gasps of color—the "look-at-me" yellow-golds, fiery oranges, and shocking reds. Especially those reds.

red leaf

red berries

So, autumn, for me, is largely about color. Lucky for me that I live in a part of the country known for it's spectacular examples. I also love the crisp air as it gets colder outside and the smell of wood smoke and apples. I love the process of preparing for winter and how cozy my house in the country will be when the snow starts to fly. And I will take time to reflect on the past year (business and otherwise) and make plans for the new year to come. It never hurts to get an early start. I think I see some red pillows coming up :)

More autumn inspiration here.

5 comments:

Artifax said...

Lovely photos! Those berries are such a vivid red color.

Anonymous said...

Great fotos! Hope you have plenty of good new ideas for next year!

Sydney Harper said...

Nice photos! I like the color contrast.

Kerri Jean said...

thanks for posting Janet. I love your phrase "last gasps of color." It's true that everything has one last amazing burst before the white and gray days of winter. beautiful photos.

Going For Greatness said...

"last gasps of color" sums it up PERFECTLY!
Gabi