10.27.2006

Studio Friday: Collections

This topic was hard for me. Not because I have no collections, but because I have too many. Which one to choose?

I hope this isn't cheating because I have these arranged on a dresser top just outside the door of my studio so technically not inside. But I get to look at them each time I pass through the hallway on my trips from my studio to the attic room where I store finished work and package orders. I've wanted to do a post about these little Chinese enamel dishes for a while, and will use this as the opportunity to do it.

enamel dish collection

I don't even know what they're called. They're very small so don't hold much and they're not flat enough to be coasters. Maybe they're for sauces or condiments? I have no idea how old they are. I do know that they were imported from China and have a distinctive handwritten signature on the back. They're made of enamel over metal (probably tin) so are not nearly as fragile as they look.

stamp

We started with a few square ones that my husband inherited when his parents downsized from their house to an apartment. Then we added a few round ones and lately some with more unusual shapes. This summer we found two larger, bowl-sized ones. The small ones cost just a couple of dollars so they're very affordable.

I love everything about them—their tiny size, the not-so-perfect hand-painted look, the jewel-like colors. Grouped together they're just so visually pleasing that I smile every time I walk past them. And isn't that what a collection should do?

enamel dishes

enamel dish

enamel dishes

enamel dish

See more wonderful collections here.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

beautiful color and workmanship in these!

Silvia Hoefnagels . Salix Tree said...

Those are beautiful! A colorful collection!

Anonymous said...

You're right, they're all very eye-catching!

laura said...

lovely. so bright and cheery. great collection.

Anonymous said...

Oh Janet, they are beautiful, and they would make me smile too! I wonder if they are meant to be soy sauce or mustard containers? Very pretty!

Going For Greatness said...

Janet,
these are gorgeous! I Love the vibrant colours and the interesting shapes too. A great collection indeed!
~Gabi

Anonymous said...

Oh, I lOVE your collection! The daintiness, the exquisite colors...(big sigh of longing)!

Debbie said...

Oh WOW!! These are incredible in the colors and all the patterns! What a JOYFUL collection! Great post! Thank you for sharing your wonderful collection(s)! Have a great weekend!

Anonymous said...

What adorable little dishes! And great photos, too.

Anonymous said...

these are lovely!

Anonymous said...

beautiful patterns, colours, forms and displaying of them. one of the most beautiful collections I've seen!